Apple Returns and Refunds?
Apple wants you to be thrilled with your new purchase. However, if you need to return an item, we’re here to help.
Questions about an Apple Retail Store repair, purchase, or return while our retail stores are closed? See our FAQs for answers. Learn more
Apple Returns & Refunds Policy in the U.S.
Standard Return Policy
There are a few important things to keep in mind when returning a product you purchased online from Apple:
- You have 14 calendar days to return an item from the date you received it.
- Only items that have been purchased directly from Apple, either online or at an Apple Retail Store, can be returned to Apple. Apple products purchased through other retailers must be returned in accordance with their respective returns and refunds policy.
- Please ensure that the item you’re returning is repackaged with all the cords, adapters and documentation that were included when you received it.
There are some items, however, that are ineligible for return, including:
- Opened software*
- Electronic Software Downloads
- Software Up-to-Date Program Products (software upgrades)
- Apple Gift Cards (includes previous generation Apple Store Gift Cards and App Store & iTunes Gift Cards)
- Apple Developer products (membership, technical support incidents, WWDC tickets)
- Apple Print Products
*You can return software, provided that it has not been installed on any computer. Software that contains a printed software license may not be returned if the seal or sticker on the software media packaging is broken.
iPhone and iPad Returns — Wireless Service Cancellation
Wireless carriers have different service-cancellation policies. Returning your iPhone or iPad may not automatically cancel or reset your wireless account; you are responsible for your wireless service agreement and for any applicable fees associated with your wireless account. Please contact your provider for more information.
How to Return an Item
Ship your item back to Apple
To return an item to Apple, sign in to your Order Listing page with your Apple ID and password.
After you sign in, you will see the items from your recent orders. Select an item to go to the order details page. From there, use the Start a Return link below your item and then click the Get Started button. On the next page, confirm the items from your order that you’d like to return and select the Initiate Your Return button.
Next, read the instructions and select the Print Return Label button to print your shipping and any required hazmat labels. If you’re shipping multiple boxes, use the Print Return Label button again to print new labels for each box. We recommend using the original packaging if you are returning a computer.
You can either schedule a pickup with the carrier or drop off the package at any of the carrier’s locations.
Additional steps are required when shipping an item over $2,500 from Puerto Rico to the continental United States:
- Locate the commodity code of your item at http://www.apple.com/legal/more-resources/gtc.html.
- Visit https://ace.cbp.dhs.gov to file an Export Declaration.
- Follow the aforementioned instructions to initiate your return.
Bring your item to an Apple Store
You can always return the item to any U.S. Apple Store. An Apple Specialist will assist you with your return. Your refund will be processed at that time. To locate an Apple Store in your area, please refer to the Apple Retail Store Locator. Please contact your Business Team to initiate a return for orders shipped directly to your business.
Once we receive your item, a refund is initiated immediately. If you canceled a pickup item, and you were billed for it, we initiate your refund immediately after you submit your cancellation request. The way your refund is processed depends on your original payment method:
- If you paid by credit or debit card, refunds will be sent to the card-issuing bank within five business days of receipt of the returned item or cancellation request. Please contact the card-issuing bank with questions about when the credit will be posted to your account.
- Refunds on products purchased from Apple using an Apple Gift Card (or previous generations of Apple gift cards) will be issued to you as an Apple Gift Card by email. If you’d like us to send you a physical Apple Gift Card by mail, ask the representative helping you.
- Products paid for using your Apple Account Balance will be refunded to your Apple Account Balance.
Exchange an item
If you purchased your item from Apple in the U.S., you can take it to any U.S. Apple Store for an exchange. Item exchanges are, of course, subject to in-store product availability. It’s a good idea to check if a product is in stock by visiting apple.com and then seeing if it’s available for pickup at a store nearby. The only exchange exceptions are personalized items (such as engraved iPhone, iPad, or AirPods) and Macs that have been custom-configured. These items cannot be exchanged in store; they can only be returned and your refund will be issued to the payment method you used on your order (per the guidelines in our Standard Return Policy).
Items ordered online from Apple that arrived damaged or are incorrect can be returned to any U.S. Apple Store, or by contacting Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775.
Apple Gift Returns
Return a gift
Visit the Gift Returns page and follow the instructions. You’ll need to provide your product serial number or order number. If you use the order number, you’ll also need to provide the UPC number on the product packaging. You can review items eligible for return at this time.
Note: You can only return items from one order at a time.
Provide your contact information and select Continue to submit your return.
On the next page, you’ll see instructions for how to complete your return. Use the Print Return Label button and attach your pre-paid shipping label and any hazmat labels to the outside of your shipping box. Then send your item back to Apple by scheduling a pickup with the shipping carrier or dropping off the package at any of the carrier’s locations. We’ll let you know when we receive the item.
If you need help with your gift return, please call an Apple Specialist at 1‑800‑MY‑APPLE. You can also return eligible items to an Apple Store.
Once we receive your items, we’ll email your refund in the form of an electronic Apple Gift Card.
Apple Gift Cards can be used to purchase products and accessories, as well as apps, games, music, movies, TV shows, iCloud, and more. Apple Gift Cards can be used on apple.com, in the Apple Store app, by phone, or in person at the Apple Store. Apple Gift Cards can only be used in the country where they were purchased.
For more information about Apple Gift Cards and how to redeem them, as well as how to redeem previous generations of Apple gift cards, visit the Payments & Pricing page.
For more information, please read the U.S. .