Home Depot Return Policy
This is an easy way to view how easy or hard it is to make a Return!
Return Ease Factor
Return Policy Guide
Return Policy Guide
Home Depot’s return policy allows customers to return most items within 90 days of purchase, in-store or online. However, certain restrictions and exclusions, such as custom-made or special order products, may not be eligible for return. Home Depot also offers a no-receipt option for returns, where customers can provide a valid form of identification to receive store credit for the item’s current selling price.
What is Home Depot's return policy right now?
The basic rule of Home Depot’s return policy is that customers can return any item within 90 days of purchase, as long as the item is in new, unused condition and in the original packaging. This applies to both in-store and online purchases.
For defective or damaged items, customers can return them at any time for a full refund or exchange. This applies to both in-store and online purchases. If a customer has a receipt, they will receive a full refund. If they do not have a receipt, they will receive a store credit.
Home Depot also offers a return policy for special order items. Customers can return special order items within 90 days of purchase, but they may be subject to a restocking fee. The restocking fee is typically 15% of the purchase price, but it can vary depending on the item.
If a customer has lost their receipt, they can still return the item. However, they will only be able to receive a store credit for the lowest price that the item has sold for in the last 90 days.
Home Depot’s return policy also applies to gift cards. If a customer has a gift card and wants to return an item, they will be issued a new gift card for the amount of the return.
How strict is Home Depot return policy?
Home Depot's Return Policy Will Put Your Mind At Ease
What is Home Depot's return policy with a receipt?
Return or exchange any Home Depot item with the original purchase receipt within 30 days as NEW requires that the item is in original condition and packaging, unopened and uninstalled, including all original materials supplied. Returns that do not meet these criteria will be denied. Items returned for warranty may be exchanged or refunded at our discretion. Credit will be issued to the same card used for purchase; the card must be present at the return time.
What is Home Depot’s return policy for in-store?
- Most new, unopened merchandise sold by The Home Depot can be returned within 90 days of purchase.
If your purchase was made with
- The Home Depot Consumer Credit Card
- The Home Depot Commercial Revolving Charge
- The Home Depot Commercial Account
You will have 365 days from the date of purchase to receive a full refund.
Home Depot Return Policy Online?
- We require a valid driver’s license or government-issued photo identification for non-receipted returns and returns generated from purchases made with Store Credits. The Home Depot uses a third-party refund verification system. All returns are subject to verification system approval.
- Customer support is also available to help get your UPS return started and is available to help schedule pick up of your return items for your convenience. Call us for assistance at 1-800-455-3869.
Home Depot Return Policy Design Center.
- Returns are only accepted for items purchased at The Home Depot Design Center. Products purchased on homedepot.com or in one of our warehouse stores cannot be returned here. Products purchased at The Home Depot Design Center can only be returned at The Home Depot Design Center.
The Home Depot Return Policy Exceptions
The following items may only be returned within 30 days of purchase:
- Area Rugs
- Gas Powered Equipment and Tractors
- Generators (other than Whole House and Stationary Generators)
- Consumer Electronics (Televisions & Computers)
Home Depot Return Policy on Major Appliances
- Before a customer either accepts delivery or takes an order home from the store, major appliance products (including refrigeration appliances, washers, dryers, ranges, dishwashers and some microwaves) should be inspected for defects or damage. If any exist, the customer should refuse to take the product(s) into their possession.
- Once delivery is accepted or a product is removed from the store by a customer, the product may be returned if the defects and/or damage are identified and reported to The Home Depot by calling (800) 455-3869 within 48 hours of delivery/the time of pick-up at the Service Desk.
What Is Home Depot Return Policy on Hazardous Materials?
Due to safety hazards, items that use flammable liquids or gases cannot be returned through the mail, even if the item has been drained of these materials.
This would include (but is not limited to) items such as lawn mowers, leaf blowers, and any other items that use flammable liquids or gases.
Please return products that use flammable liquids/gases or other hazardous materials to your local Home Depot store.
What Is Home Depot Return Policy on?
Perennials, trees and shrubs have a 1 year guarantee. In the event that live goods purchased online (including, but not limited to, houseplants, perennials, trees, holiday trees, wreaths and garlands) are received damaged or dead, contact Customer Support at 1-800-430-3376 within 3 days of delivery and we will ship a replacement at no charge. This policy does not apply to cut flowers or floral arrangements.
Exclusive Grow a Garden Guarantee: Full Disclaimer
When you use Bonnie plants with Miracle-Gro soils and/or plant foods, we guarantee you’ll get a harvest! If your Bonnie plants do not produce in the course of the growing season (March – October), you are entitled to a refund for your plant and Miracle-Gro purchase. This guarantee began January 1, 2018. For a list of all eligible Bonnie Harvest Guarantee products click here. In order to obtain your refund, please follow these steps
- Bring in your Bonnie plant and purchase receipt(s) to your local Home Depot; *
- Your receipt(s) must show a purchase of the Bonnie plant AND/OR Miracle-Gro soil and/or plant food product purchased within 3 days of one another; and
- Your purchase must have been within the last 12 months†
† Receipt (s) must show Bonnie Plants® and Miracle-Gro® purchase for a full refund of your plant and Miracle-Gro® purchase. If the purchase was made more than 180 days ago, the refund will be issued as a store credit unless purchased on The Home Depot Consumer Credit Card; then you have 365 days from date of purchase to receive a full refund.
Order is Damaged or Missing Parts
If an order arrives damaged or incomplete or is in need of replacement parts, contact Customer Support at 1-800-430-3376 within 30 days of delivery for resolution.
Merchandise is Non-Returnable/Non-Refundable
- Major Appliances
- Gift Cards and Store Credits
- Whole House and Stationary
- Utility Trailers
- Cut Flowers and Floral Arrangements
- Labor, Delivery, and/or Installation Services
- Product Samples (e.g. Paint,
- Flooring, Fabric, and Wallpaper)
Custom Products, including:
- Blinds: Custom blinds cannot be returned unless identified as “Guaranteed to Fit”, in which case such blinds can be exchanged. Limited to four blinds per household.
- Exchange must be the same product and color. Additional charges may apply if there is a price difference between old and new blinds.
- Exchange must occur within 15 days of Receipt of package. If you have received incorrect product, please call 1-800-921-2119 for a replacement.
In-Store Return Exceptions
Returns for purchases made with a Store Credit or gift card will be refunded as a Store Credit. Registration of Store Credit may be required. Please bring a valid driver’s license or government-issued photo identification for registration.
Returns made without a valid sales receipt may be refunded as a Store Credit at the lowest advertised price.
Cash and cash equivalent purchases exceeding $1,000 may be refunded by check sent from The Home Depot’s corporate office.
Special Order returns or cancellations may be subject to a 15% restocking fee and must be returned to the same store where the purchase was made*
*See Special Services Desk for details
Merchandise Ordered from Third-Party, Marketplace Sellers
Home Depot return policies apply only to items purchased from The Home Depot (in-store or online at homedepot.com). Items purchased from a third-party or marketplace seller, but shipped by The Home Depot, must be returned to the selling party in accordance with their return policies. Paragraph Text
What Is Home Depot Return Policy on Paint?
Paint Satisfaction Guarantee Policy:
- If you are not satisfied with your interior or exterior liquid paint purchase, bring your paint and Receipt back to the store within 30 days of purchase. We will make it right by correcting your paint or giving you a comparable can of paint.
- Policy excludes: Application issues and improperly prepared surfaces, liquid stains, color samples, “OOPs” merchandise, special order, non-stock products, 3rd parties and marketplaces, labor and installation.
- We reserve the right to limit guarantees at our discretion in the event of suspected fraud or abuse.