Target Return Policy
Target’s return policy in 2023 is shopper-friendly, allowing most items to be returned within 90 days of purchase. To return an item, you’ll need your receipt, packing slip, or Target RedCard for an extended return period. Items should be unused and in their original packaging. Certain items, like perishables and open software, are non-returnable.
What you should know Before Returning a Product: Before returning an item to Target, ensure you have your receipt or packing slip. Check the item for new, unused condition with original packaging and accessories. For electronics, reset to factory settings and remove personal data. Clean clothing and footwear.
Return Policy Guide
Return Policy Guide
Target In-Store Return Policy.
Items sold by Target in new condition and returned within 90 days will receive a refund or exchange. Some items sold by Target have a modified return policy noted on the receipt, packing slip, Target policy board (refund exceptions), Target.com or in the item description. Items that are opened or damaged or do not have a receipt may be denied a refund or exchange. New Jersey stores will continue to observe state-ordered return restrictions.
Target Plus™ Partner’s Return Policy
Most unopened items sold by a Target Plus Partner in new condition and returned within 90 days will receive a refund. All items sold by Partners must be returned to Target in-store or by mail. Some items sold by a Target Plus Partner have a modified return policy on Target.com. Items that are opened or damaged may be denied a refund. Some items, such as electronics, may have a shorter return window.
Returns and exchanges without a receipt may be limited. Other restrictions may apply.
- Target Owned Brand items: If you’re not satisfied with any Target Owned Brand item, return it within one year with a receipt for an exchange or a refund.
- Target RedCard purchases: Target RedCard™ debit and credit cardholders will receive an extra 30 days to return nearly all items purchased with their RedCard at Target and Target.com. Visit Target.com/RedCard for full details and exclusions.
- Holiday and limited-time-only collections: Items may have modified return policies.
- Purchases at Optical, Pharmacy, Starbucks and Target Tech: Items must be returned or exchanged at these areas.
- International purchases: Target stores cannot accept international returns or exchanges, including international returns and exchanges of online purchases
The following items cannot be returned:
- Open or defective collectibles (e.g., sports cards, special edition Barbie dolls, porcelain dolls, action figures and die-cast cars)
- Personalized items and digital downloads
- Opened/unsealed breast pumps
- Specialty gift cards, pre-paid gift cards and Target GiftCards cannot be returned or redeemed for cash or credit except where required by law. This includes Target GiftCards, Visa®, Mastercard®, or American Express® Gift Card, restaurant, entertainment, lottery cards.
The following items are eligible only for exchange if opened:
- Music, movies, video games, and software (exchange for the same title, for same or different gaming platform)
- Airbeds (exchange for a similar item)
The following items have a shorter window for returns and exchanges:
- Electronics and entertainment items (excluding Apple® products) must be returned/exchanged within 30 days.
- All Apple® products (excluding mobile phones) must be returned/exchanged within 15 days.
- Mobile phones purchased in-store or online via Order Pickup must be returned/exchanged within 14 days.
Additional Fees: Mobile Phones
- Mobile phones purchased with a carrier contract may be subject to early termination fees per carrier contract if returned or exchanged. Contract items and carrier plans must be returned in a Target store with help from a Target Tech Rep.
- A restocking charge of up to $35 for phones may apply except where prohibited. The restocking charge will be taxed in select states. There is no restocking charge if the product is unopened.
Holiday Extended Return Window
- Electronics and entertainment items and Apple products purchased Oct. 1-Dec. 25 have an extended return period, which starts on Dec. 26.
Target Registry App
You can use the menu to select ‘Make a return’ to generate your return barcode.
- Make sure you also have a government-issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license) and that your items are new, unused and in original packaging with any accessories.
- Refunds will be issued in the form of a Target GiftCard when using a gift receipt for the Registry Gift Purchase Log.
- If you return an item that hasn’t been marked as purchased on your registry, you’ll receive a refund in the form of a merchandise return card.
- Items purchased from Kids’ Wish Lists and Shopping Lists do not have an extended return period and require a receipt or gift receipt for a return or exchange.
Target’s gift registry return policy.
How do I return an item I received as a registry gift?
You have up to one year after your event date to return most new, unopened items at your Target store using your return barcode.
You can access the return barcode on your Target.com Registry Homepage or in the Target Registry App.
- Target.com Access your Target account.
- Visit the Registry page and select your registry.
- Start a return on the left-hand side of your registry homepage.
- Select a store.
- The barcode is only valid at the selected store for the date it is generated on.
Can I return a Target GiftCard?
- For purchases made on or after 10/1/20: Target GiftCards cannot be returned. Target GiftCards cannot be redeemed for cash or credit except where required by law.
- For purchases made before 10/1/20: Mobile Target GiftCards and Target eGiftCards cannot be returned or redeemed for cash or credit except where required by law. Physical Target GiftCards can be returned in store with a receipt if unused.
To return your item(s) to a Target store or to our online return center:
1. Access your Target account.
2. Select Orders on Target.com or Purchases in the Target app to locate your order.
3. Locate and select order.
4. Select Return an item.
5. Select one of the following:
- Return to store: Take barcode to the store to have a team member start your return.
- Return by mail:Select item to return.
- Select a return reason from drop-down menu, then select Continue.
- Select Replace item or Refund item, then select Continue.
Select the Shipping address.
- Visit your account to add or edit an address.
- Select Submit, then select print mailing label and follow the steps to print your mailing label.
6. Attach the return label to the outside of the package.
Item(s) must be in their original packaging and condition.
7. Drop your package off at an authorized UPS location.
Fix an issue will only appear as an option for eligible items.
4. Follow prompts to complete your refund or replacement request.
Replacements are subject to availability and will process as an even exchange. You won’t receive additional charges.
Once you request a replacement, you can’t return the original item in store because this will cancel the replacement request.
Refunds are issued to the original payment method.
Items paid for with PayPal will be refunded to a Target GiftCard.
5. You’ll be provided with instructions on what to do with your item(s).
If we require that the item be returned, we’ll provide a return mailing label.
For replacement requests, navigate to your order history for updates.